Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Gluten Free Wedding Reception

I've never seen a gluten. But I know I'm allergic to them. And so is FH.

photo credit: socrates
 For those of you who don't know, Gluten is found in wheat, barley, rye, soy, and other grains. Thus eliminating regular bread, pasta, cereal, muffins, cake, cookies, and crackers from my diet. Fortunately most compaines have jumped on the bandwagon and are offering gluten free versions of these foods. FH and I have spagetti with GF (gluten free) noodles weekly.

He has been GF going on ten years, while I have been doing it since we met, but not religously since about 6 months ago.

Gluten intolerance and Celiac disease are similar. I am only gluten intolerant, so when I eat gluten, I feel bloated, slow, and sick to my stomach. For days after I eat gluten I have sharp stabbing pains in my stomach. Those who have Celiac diseas however, can become violently ill if they eat gluten. The gluten essentially lines their intestines and prevents them from absorbing any nutrients.

Now back to weddings.
Rose Frill- Maggie Austin Cakes
FH is GF, I am GF and my Future Mom-in-law, brother and sisters in-law and father-in-law are also GF. So we are going to be having a completely GF wedding. It's really starting to be cool now. Chelsea Clinton's wedding was GF.

Anyway this means we have to find menu items that won't make our guests miss bread but will still satisfy the palate. Our plan is to do Grilled Hearts of Romaine with Spud's Ceasar dressing (it is do DIE for), roast pig (with GF barbeque sauce) and baked potatoes. This will al be pretty easy, it's the desserts that will be difficult.

I want a traditional wedding cake. I have an awesome lady that I work with who went to cake decorating school who will doing my cake. She uses box cake mix which is fine because Betty Crocker makes a mean gluten free cake.
My other Dream Cake

I also wanted to do a dessert bar. Something with Huckleberry cheesecake, cookies, etc. The problem is that I can't just go to the store and buy these things. I'm going to have to find a baker in town who might be able to help.

Any other Gluten free brides out there? How did you execute your perfect wedding menu?


Images courtesy Maggie Austin Cakes and Amy and Stuart Photography

No comments:

Post a Comment