Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Our Long and Confusing Engagement

FH and I officially became engaged on October 13th of 2011. That was the day that he put the ring on my finger and told me he wanted to spend the rest of his life with me. He never did ask me a question but to be fair, I had been nagging him to get "real engaged" for like months so I think he took that as a "YES!"

We met on August 4th 2009 (yes three years before our wedding day), and we hung out for the first time on August 6th. Now that night he told me I was the one. I'd be lying if I said it didn't freak me out but I went with it. After all he was amazing. I even told my friends after our first date that I had met my future husband.
 I left for school a few days later, while he went back to college as well. Our schools were around 4 hours away from each other but that didn't stop us from hanging out every weekend. Well on the first weekend I spent with him in his town, he says, "Why don't we go look at rings? You can show me what you like."
Ok so here is where it all starts. First of all, do not take a nineteen year old girl into a jewelry shop to look at rings. ever. Secondly, do not take a nineteen year old gril to look at rings without expecting her to start planning her wedding. And thirdly, do not take a nineteen-year-old girl to look at rings without actually planning on proposing in the next year or two. I did find a ring I loved, of course. He bought it a few weeks later and we actually planned to get married in September of that year with just the justice of the peace. We had the appointment and everything. Until last minute we both got cold feet and instead he drove and proposed (A logical step, I would think).
Well it ends up we weren't for real engaged. We were both pretty young, still being supported by our parents and not even dating for a month. I think the rational part of our brains said no, wait a bit. I am really glad we waited. Neither of us were ready but we sure thought we were.

Three years, two towns, three houses and three cats later, we are ready. But you can forgive me for planning my wedding for the past 2 1/2 years since I've had the ring about that long.

No comments:

Post a Comment