Wednesday, January 11, 2012

When to get married?

The date and the venue are set but now I am having trouble with a timeline. I have always pictured an evening wedding. On August 4th (the wedding date), the sun will set at 9:35pm.  At the reception site, because it is East facing, there actually isn't any sun hitting the property at around 4, but it is still light enough to eat until around 9. It would be a logistical nightmare to properly light everything for a late night party, which is why I have been thinking ceremony around 3:30 and dinner at 5:15. It would be light enough for everything. For some reason however, FH seems to think that we should have the ceremony at 11 or 12 noon and eat at 1:00.
As I said before, I have always pictured a dinner reception. I mean if you have a lunch reception it doesn't seem as celebratory. And no one wants to dance at 3 in the afternoon. FH has been set on having a pig roast which I am all for. I love the idea, but we're going to serve everyone a big lunch and then what?

What I would like to know is: What does everyone go do at 4:00 when the party is over? Do we just say, okay see you later then! Go find something to eat. And I just put in 3 hours of getting ready, only to take down my updo and go swimming? I don't think so. That would seem just so anticlimactic.

With my plan the time line would be roughly as follows:
3:30 Ceremony
4:15 Cocktail hour begins
5:15 Dinner Served
6:00 Toasts
6:30 Cake Cutting
7:00 First Dance - starting to get darker
9:00 - pretty much dark out - Start bonfire
10:00 - go back to hotel with hubby

I really was losing sleep over this but after talking with my FH and his parents, they did see the reasoning behind why I wanted an evening reception so now it is settled.
But really am I the only one who was stressed about this? Anyone who's already married, and had a morning or noon reception, what did you do afterward? My thinking was that people would want to continue hanging out and we would end up having to serve two meals.

No comments:

Post a Comment